Tuesday 12 May 2015

Closet Perfection!

 
Am I the only one that wishes my closet looked like this? I would love my wardrobe to be this neat but I do love clothing far too much where you can clearly see I have a passion for fashion  the minute the cupboard doors open which makes it kinda' difficult for it to look this simplistic. 
 
The problem that many of us have (including myself) is that we wish we had a walk in closet but our reality check is that our wardrobe is generally too small for the amount of clothing that we have. Bearing in mind, that you have to keep both summer and winter clothing in the same place - is certainly a hard thing for me to comprehend. 
 

I remember that whenever I told my dad that my wardrobe was too small, he simply said to me that if you had less things then everything would fit. He is also the type of person that is big on the fact that "everything has it's place" but I think that this would be most men in general. As a woman, I can't bare to think that being fashionable and stylish would consist of wearing only a plain t-shirt and jeans for the rest of my life.
 
Fashion is exciting and brings out who you are and your own personal sense of style. Thus, to have the best of both world's  (loads of clothing and a neat wardrobe) I decided that looking on the internet to see how best to use the space in my closet was the thing to do.
 
Here are a few tips on how I organise my wardrobe:
 
1. Get a box and big dustbin bags. I usually get a biggish box for shoes and then I will put my handbags ontop. The dustbin bags are for all the clothing but it is up to you if you prefer to use only boxes or dustbin bags to put all the stuff in that you are throwing out.
 
 
2. Start on one section at a time. Whether you decide to clean out your hanging space, your shoe cupboard or the things you have folded up, do one thing at a time. The reason being is that if you have loads of clothing like me doing a spring clean can be really tiring especially if it takes almost 4 days to do. So, you don't want everything out your wardrobe and then you have to shove everything back in because you tired of cleaning for the day.
 
3. Pull everything out of the cupboard and  start organising. Once I have decided on the section to do, I pull absolutely everything out of the cupboard (for example: all my shoes). When all the shoes are out of the cupboard, then I start working through the pile and organising what I will be keep and what I will give away. The shoes, that I will be giving away will go into the box and the shoes that I will be keeping will be left in a smaller pile.
 
 
4. Packing your cupboard. If you have thrown away quite a lot of shoes that you haven't worn in years then you already saving space in your cupboard. However, to try save even more space you should organise your shoes into different piles (i.e. sandals, sneakers, boots etc) as well as by how often you wear them.
 
So I try and put the shoes that I wear most often where I can easily get to them and towards the front of my shoe cupboard and the shoes that I were less often towards the back. My boots, I use two shelves at the bottom of my cupboard. For my heels, I prefer to keep them in their boxes neatly under my bed so that they stay nice and in it's orginal form.
 
If you don't have a separate shoe cupboard, then you can always invest in a shoe hanging rack or a shoe rack that you can put at the bottom of your closet.
 
5. Re-packing the rest of your wardrobe. When you get to the clothing that was once neatly folded up and to the clothes that are hanging on hangers. Do steps 1 - 3 again, when you get to step 4 and you have sorted the keeping pile of your folded up clothing; then I usually like to be a bit OCD and not only just put the tops and shirts I wear most often towards the front but I also like to colour co-ordinate them. It is also a good idea that you fold up some of your jersey's and thinner sweaters so that you don't get hanger marks on them.
 
 
When you get to the clothing that are on hangers, again sort out what you will keep and what you will throw away. In the side of my cupboard that is on hangers, all my pants and scarves are on the lower rail and then my blazers, cotton shirts and dresses on the rail above that. When it comes to my coats and belts, I have a spare cupboard that I hang them in. A good idea for belts, is to use wooden hangers where you either hang them over the  hanger and fasten the buckle so it doesn't slide off or to hang them by hooks (see picture below). Wooden hangers can take up a bit more space but do they work better for heavy belts as they don't bend, break or snap as easily as the contemporary plastic hangers.
 
6. Sorting out your handbags and accessories. In my room I have a stand alone cupboard with shelving where I put all my handbags next to one another and it works for me because I always change the handbag that I wear depending on my outfit. However, if you the type of person that seldomly changes your handbag because you prefer to have one that multi-purpose and goes with everything then you can put the other bags that you may have at the top of your cupboard.
 
When it comes to accessories, I have a notice board that I have covered in material and I use pins to hang my long necklaces (100% DIY) but with smaller delicate jewellery I put that in a wooden jewellery box. In terms of my statement necklace pieces that have diamante's or are a bit fragile I keep them flat altogether in a pull-out draw. When I do buy a statement necklace, I try keep the plack-card that it comes on so that you are able to put one ontop of another and they won't get damaged as it acts as an interface.
 

No comments: